Suggestions for a Daily Practice
- Focus on positive emotions before bed. The five elements are expressed in five positive virtues: love, trust, courage, gentleness, and kindness. One practice is to do a daily review and think about the ways we expressed each of these during the day. Gratitude for the presence of these virtues in your life is another approach.
- If we have an issue with an organ or emotion, we can breathe into that organ and flood it with awareness. For instance, if we are experiencing frustration or impatience we can smile into the liver or the heart to help that organ relax. We can also smile into an organ that relates to the current season. The lungs in autumn, for instance.
- During the day, we can practice the Six Healing Sounds to release stress around work or traffic. Even just practicing the lung or kidney sounds three times can help us release stress.
- We can accompany Taoist practices with routine parts of our day. Some examples include massaging the kidneys in the shower, massaging the large intestine while sitting on the toilet, squeezing the PC Muscle while commuting, massaging the face while resting in bed, practicing tai chi during lunch break in an outdoor setting, and stretching on the floor when you change into your comfortable clothes for the evening.
- Watch the sunset and let your troubles go over the horizon. Meet the sunrise and accept the energy of the new day in your heart.